Date:	Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:08:28 -0400
From:	TR Reardon <thomas_reardon@...mail.com>
To:	"linux@...izon.com" <linux@...izon.com>
CC:	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [RFC] mke2fs -E hash_alg=siphash: any interest?

Is protection against hash DoS important for local on-disk format? I can't come up
with a scenario, but maybe there is one.  The kinds of DoS contemplated are
really Google-scale, not really at the scale of ext4 directories, imo.

I ask because if hash perf is the main goal here, then CityHash and particularly SpookyHash
are better candidates. The latter has good performance even on legacy ARMv5 hardware.

+Reardon