Date:	Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:04:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext4_ext_check_inode: bad header/extent in inode

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> I'd have expected fsck to find that, I think.  I'd first suggest using
> 1.41.4 or 1.41.5 (probably released very soon) and see if that catches
> it (I don't remember offhand if there is a relevant change since 1.41.3
> but the check should be easy...)

Yes, in fact I _did_ have the latest e2fsprogs.git checkout [0] in
place, but did not use it. OK, compiled that, e2fsck still present itself
as "1.41.4" (which tree do I have to follow to get the 1.41.5 one?) but
was not able to fix the errors either. Again, I do not expect e2fsck to
actuall fix it, because the damage I did to the fs was probably too
severe. But when fsck exits with code 0, I'd "expect" it to be clean. So,
I guess what I want is fsck to tell me to get my backups ready, as the fs
is damaged too heavily...

Christian.

[0] git://git.eu.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
--
The Phaistos Disc had a hieroglyph that translates to "Bruce Schneier".