Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:47:38 +0900
From: Young Jun Ko <ohojang@...il.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, ohojang@...er.com
Subject: My ROP mitigation

I have made some ROP mitigation method and share my idea to security researcher.
This method is not perfect mitigation. but it will annoy exploit writer.
I think that the part of this document may be similar to some feature
of  ROPGuard which is
idea of 2nd winner of Bluehat Prize contest.  (  I was also Bluehat
Prize contest attendant. but i am not a winner ^^ )
This document will help reader understand some ROP mitigation feature.
I correct some words and add comments from original entry sent to
Bluehat Prize contest.

* I have intellectual property about ideas of  below document. do not
use without permission.
  http://ohojang.blogspot.com

<document>
 Author: Young Jun Ko ( ohojang@...il.com )

 Hardening WINAPI function calling for anti exploiting

 1. Prohibit direct WINAPI function calling via Return Address Checking

 - backgrond and algorithm

 Almost shellcode used by exploiting has WINAPI function calling such as
GetProcAddress() , CreateProcess().
 Firstly, the shellcode is usually located on data memory region.
 Typically, then call memory attribute changing function such as
VirtualProtect() via ROP, some memory region get executable attribute.
 Then, jump to shellcode.
 So, Any memory region getting executable attribute at run-time
may be shellcode.
 Of course, JIT and loading library at run-time need executable memory
region.
 Concerning JIT, JIT is different from shellcode in respect of WINAPI
function calling method.
 JIT call WINAPI function not directly but indirectly.
 For example, JIT doesn't call GetProcAddress() directly. But almost
shellcode call GetProcAddress() directly.
 So, return address of WINAPI function is not of JIT memory region.
 And concerning loading library at run-time, loaded address is typically
above 0x70000000.
 This address is higher than usual data memory region address.( heap )
 Simply, If a WINAPI function has return address above 0x70000000, we
can assume calling is made by loaded library.
 If library loading address is below 0x70000000, in this case, return
address of WINAPI function is below 0x70000000.
 Then misunderstanded that calling is not made by loaded library.
 But this error can be corrected easily by searching Ldr entry in PEB.
 Considering above facts, simple mitigation can be made.

 a. Choose some WINAPI function used by almost shellocde.
    ( For example , GetProcAddress() , CreateProcess(), OpenFile() )
    I named these choosed WINAPI function Return-Check function

 b. keep track of all memory region getting executable attribute at
    runtime.
    VirtualProtect() ,VirtualAlloc() , CreateFileMapping() function
can be used to accomplish this objective.

 c. when a Return-Check function is called, it checks return address.
    if return address is not library or module address, the calling is
    illegal function calling.

 - effect and bypassing

 bypassing this mitigation is relatively easy. indirect WINAPI function
calling can be made by using payload code already inside.
 But this means that shellcode must be dependent of victim program.
 Attacker must build calling chain similar to ROP's.
 So universal and simple shellcode can not be made.

 - proof of concept code

 return-check.cpp  ( must compile and execute in VisualStudio 2010 premium
                     Debug Mode  !!! )

 <Comment>
 This concept is useful for call-chain restriction also.
 Suppose that there is restriction that check() must call API() during
execution and API() must return to check(),
 API() checks itself return address whether the return address is
check()'s address range.
 In this case, check() can be some security check function, and API()
can be some system api function.
 Malicious code can't call API() function directly.
 But More smarter attacker can use ROP chaining for bypassing above case.
 (without check() call, call API(), and return to somewhere of check().)
 Neverthless, If check(), API() function is written specially , ROP
attack will fail too.
 (I thnik that there are many possible ways besides my method .it is
up to you. )

 2. Hardening ROP chaining

 - background and algorithm

 Preventing ROP made by compiler is relatively easy.
 But without compiler supporting ROP detecting is very difficult.
 Execution flow by ROP chain can make a WINAPI function call.
 Recently, almost exploit code uses ROP method for calling VirtualProtect().
 But ROP chaining after WINAPI function calling can be made harder.
 By making ROP chaining harder, shellcode development costs more.

 Assume that VirtualProtect()'s function address is 0x70000000
 For calling 0x70000000 function via ROP, stack must be prepared like below

 0x70000000    <--- sp ( stack pointer just before executing "RET" )

 After executing RET , stack layout changes lke below.

 ........      <--- sp ( stack pointer )
 0x70000000

 VirtualProtect()'s function address can be found at stack above case.
 By checking stack value at just below current stack pointer, we can
determine whether ROP is used for calling the function.
 Accidentally function address value can be found at just below current
 stack pointer.
 But WINAPI function call address found at stack is very rare.
 For assurance, only VirtualProtect() , VirtualAlloc() can use above
algorithm in addition to simple regression test.
 Example of implementation can be found at proof of concept code.

 To bypass above mitigation, attacker may use indirect call
instruction like below.

 case 1 (using call gadget)

 call [eax]  (memory value pointed by eax is VirtualProtect() function address)
 ....        <--- return address after VirtualProtect() done
 ret

 case 2 (using jump gadget)

 jmp eax  ( register value of eax is VirtualProtect() function address)
 ret      <--- return address is stored at stack.

 In these case, mitigation by checking stack value at just below
current stack pointer can be bypassed.
 But these indirect call can be detected by checking return address.
 A WINAPI function must be called by explicit call instruction like below.

 push parameter2
 push parameter1
 call VirtualProtect()
 ....       <--- return address of VirtualProtect()
 This means that execution code just before return address of the
fuction must be function calling code ( explicit call instruction must
be found ).
 This fact can be used by mitigation implementation.
 If all processor's state such as register and memory has not been
changed after calling the function, returning to just before return
address of the function will make same function call.
 Above property can be used by mitigation like below steps.

 1. some WINAPI function called.
 2. record that the function is called once. preserve processor's state.
 3. return to call instruction which is located at just before return
    address of the function
 4. execute call instruction
 5. in normal situation, the WINAPI function is called twice.
    ( check whether the function is called before )
 6. if ROP is used . the WINAPI function will not be called.

 I named this mitigation method "dual call checking".
 Applying dual call checking makes ROP chain of case 2 harder than
case 1's for bypassing.
 So, most attacker will use case 1 ROP chain.

 Additional mitigation method is needed for case 1 ROP chain.
 We can find "RET" instruction after return address of the function.
 If processor's execution is stopped just at "RET" instruction. stack
layout will be like below.

 return address  <--- stack pointer.

 This means that execution code just before return address must be call
instruction also.
 This test can be done by setting debug register as "RET" instruction address.
 When debug event is occurred, we can get return address by reading stack.
 and decode call instruction which is located at just before the return address.
 if the call instruction is valid format, we conclude finally that the
WINAPI function is not called by ROP.

 Consequently, attacker must use twice call instruction gadget among ROP chains
for calling WINAPI function.

 ...        ...
             ...       ...
 ...  -->  ...  -->  call XXXX  --> call YYYY --> WINAPI -->   ...  -->  ...
 ret       ret
           ret       ret

 First  calling-gadget must call second calling-gadget.
 consecutive 2 call make exploit development costs more and more.

 - effect and bypassing

 Simply, attacker may choose below gadget for bypassing consecutive call check.

 call  [eax]  <--- call VirtualProtect()
 ret   <--- if attack code returns at here. bypassing default
consecutive call check.
 ret    <--- mitigation checks only final return

 call  [eax]    <--- call VirtualProtect()
 call  [ebx+4] <--- can be used call another gadget.
 ret                <-- never returns by this

 Anyway, making ROP chains cost more and more.
 (comment: Sometimes, using first occurred "RET" instruction for
mitigation is useful than last occurred one.)

 - proof of concept code

 refer to antirop.cpp for direct ROP calling mitigation.
 But dual call checking and case 1 mitigation implementation is
not implemented yet.
 I will send these mitigation code in a week.
 ( Please, i have no time to write code. )

 3. Detect Stack Pivoting with Compiler and OS support on x86.

 - background and algorithm

 if there is OS and compiler mitigation support. ROP preventing and Address
information hiding is relatively easy.
 I make several simple algorithm for these mitigations.

 For example, almost ROP needs stack pivoting. if stack pivoting checking code
may be inserted at each function. ROP detection is very easy.
 But simple stack pivot checking code insertion degrade performance
dramatically.
 If stack pivot checking code is consist of 10 cpu instructions. performance
degrade may be tolerable if security is the most valuable .

 SS register value per process can be used for this mitigation.
 OS can assign SS register values 0 ~ 8193 (13bits) without any compatiblity
issue. ( By LDT setting with same descriptor pattern )
 If a thread has stack address range 0x38A00000 ~ 0x39000000 . unchanged address
part of stack address is 0x38000000. in this case SS register can be
set as 0x38.
 So, when stack pivoting to heap is occurred, stack address may be converted to
0x4XXXXXXX, in this case SS register value is not consistent with stack address.

 Set SS register value as high 13bits of stack address can be useful.
 But ignoring the most high bit is preferable like below.

 Stack Address            1001 1100 0011 1100 xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx
 SS register value          -001 1100 0011 11

 stack address checking code looks like below.

 push eax
 mov  eax,esp
 shr  eax,18
 mov word ptr [esp],ax
 mov ax,ss
 xor ax,word ptr [esp]
 jz   return
 call stackcheck()
return:
 pop  eax
 ret

 If free register is exist, shorter code is possible

 ( ebx is free register )
 mov ebx, esp
 shr ebx, 18
 mov word ptr [esp] , bx
 mov bx,ss
 xor bx, word ptr [esp]
 jz return
 call stackcheck()
return:
 ret

 stackcheck() function checks whether current stack address is valid.
 and If SS register value is not consistent with valid current stack address,
reload SS register value properly.
 Reloading SS register cause lock signal on cpu. But reloading is very rare.
 Because stack address range is contiguous and small.

 - effect and bypassing

 If all function is protected by proposed stack checking code. ROP is very hard.
 To bypass this mitigation, attacker must abuse stackcheck() function
by change stack address information located at TEB.
 Accidentally legal stack and attacked memory region has same high 13
bits address value. in this case, mitigation failed.
 But this mitigation is very useful if stack pivot is occurred on heap region.

  - no proof of concept code

 OS and Compiler supporting needed.

 </document>