Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:28:38 -0700
From: Carson Gaspar <carson@...tos.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Strengthen OpenSSH security?

--On Monday, April 17, 2006 10:31 PM -0600 Brett Glass <brett@...iat.org>
wrote:

> It seems to me that sshd should not tip its hand by returning different
> allowing an attacker to focus password guessing attacks on user IDs with
> which it would have a chance of gaining access. For those folks out there
> who are more familiar with OpenSSH than I am: How hard would it be to
> make the responses indistinguishable?

Are you running the latest version of portable OpenSSH? If not, you need to
upgrade. As far as I know, there should be no more leaks of this sort in
the current code. If there are, please notify the openssh developers (and
include your authentication configuration - your PAM modules may be leaking
the info, and there's nothing OpenSSH can do about that).

--
Carson