Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:26:29 +0800
From: Leon Harris <leon@...ll.com>
To: Hilmi Ozdoganoglu <cyprian@...due.edu>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: http://www.smashguard.org

Interesting paper.
Certain apps (notably java virtual machines) manipulate stack return
addresses. I understood that one of the advantages of Immunix's product
StackGuard was that you could still run these types of apps by
statically linking them against a normal libc (and chrooting them or
otherwise confining them). If the protection is mandatory, and in
hardware, then surely these types of app wont work.

Cheers,
Leon